Volume 9, Issue 1
Original Article / Published: November 2021
Т. Kirova, A. Kalaydzhiev, L. Voynov
Department of “Ophtalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Oral Surgery” Clinic of Ophthalmology, Military Medical Academy, Sofia
Purpose: The aim of the study is to analyze postoperative, refractive results and to evaluate effectiveness of the applied surgical procedure in calculating optical power of the IOL with formula of IVth generation- Barrett Universal II.Material and methods: The study is retrospective and was performed for a period of 2 years(2018-2020y) in clinic of Ophthalmology MMA-Sofia. We used clinical, surgical and statistical methods of the study. A complete ophthalmological examination was performed in the clinical methods. Surgical methods include performing uncomplicated phacoemulsification with intracapsular implantation of the IOL in all patients. Statistical analysis of the data was processed with IBM SPSS v.19. Statistics. Results: The effectiveness of the applied surgical procedure is determined by the implementation of the intended postoperative result(Target) and achieved postoperative uncorection visual acuity(UCDVA). A month after the operation in 49 eyes (85,1%) is registered UCDVA>0,8, which is a very good postoperative result. Conclusion: The results show slightly better postoperative visual acuity in patients with toric implants compared to spherical implants. As regards to accuracy of the formula which is used for eyes with different axial length, our results confirm other studies and shows that BU-II formula is most correct for emmetropic eyes, less accurate for hypermetropic eyes and least for myopic eyes.
- Попова Г., Кючуков Б.; Имплантация на Acrysof Toric при пациенти с катаракта и кератоконус; Български офталмологичен преглед 4/2011; 16-19.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology, Preferred Practice Patterns, “Cataract in the Adult Eye”, October 2011, http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-patterns-translations
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Cataract Surgery Guidelines,2010/online/
- Андреев А., Статева Д., Рангелова-Марбург Р., Боршуков И., Петрова Д.; клинични резултати след имплантация на торични вътреочни лещи; Български офталмологичен преглед 2/2012;18-23.
- Holladay J. International intraocular lens& implant registry. J. Cataract Refract. Surg.-2002-V.28-152-174
- Sanders DR, Kraff MC: Improvement of intraocular lens power calculation using empirical data. J Am Intraocular Implant Soc, 1980;^:263-267
- Hoffer KJ. Intraocular lens calculation: the problem of the short eye. Ophthalmic Surg 1981; 12:269-272
- Retzlaff J. A new intraocular lens calculation formula. J Am Intraocular Implant Soc. 1980; 6:148-152
- Sanders DR, Kraff MC.Improvement of intraocular lens power calculation using empirical data. J Am Intraocular Implant Soc 1980; 6:263-267
- Christopher Kent C. In Search of the Perfect IOL Formula. JAN 10 2017
- Nikhil Kuthirummal , Murugesan Vanathi , Ritika Mukhija , Noopur Gupta , Rachna Meel , Rohit Saxena , Radhika Tandon. Evaluation of Barrett universal II formula for intraocular lens power calculation in Asian Indian population. Indian J Ophthalmol; 2020 Jan;68(1):59-64
- David L., Cooke MD, Timothy L, Cooke BA. Comparison of 9 intraocular lens power calculation formulas. J Cataract Refract Surg 2016; 42:1157-1164
- Wang JK, Chang SW. Optical biometry intraocular lens power calculation using different formulas in patients with different axial lengths. Int J Ophthalmol 2013; 6:150-154
- Cataract Surgery in Antiquity. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2008. http://www.aaofoundation.org/what/heritage/exhibits/online/cataract/antiquity.cfm.Accessed May 25, 2008.
Cataract, Barrett Universal II formula, intraocular lenses
How to cite this article:
Т. Kirova, A. Kalaydzhiev, L. Voynov. Refractive results after cataract surgery in patients calculated with Barrett Universal II formula. Journal of Endourology and Minimally Invasive Surgery 2021; 9 (1): 67-72
Dr. Tanislava Kirova
Military Medical Academy of Sofia Department of “Ophtalmology, Otorhinolaryngology and Oral Surgery” Clinic of Ophthalmology
Sofia 1606, 3 “Georgi Sofiiski” blvd., Bulgaria
E-mail: email@example.com Тel.: +359 878 89 1010