Volume 10, Issue 1
Review Article / Published: July 2022
M.Kalinkova(1), K.Terzieva(1), I.Kalinkova(2)
(1) Department of internal disease, Department of Endocrinology, Tokuda Hospital, Sofia, Bulgaria (2) Department of nephrology, “Ivan Rilski”, Sofia, Bulgaria
Аblation of thyroid nodules has become an innovative non-surgical treatment in recent years. This method has a lot of positive impacts such as less post-procedural complications and in comparison with surgical treatment, it is easier to perform. However, some types of ablation are still not available in comparison to the operative technique due to their higher cost. This review sheds some light to the pros and cons of performing ablation of benign thyroid nodules as an alternative treatment method.
- Лозанов Б. Болести на щитовидната жлеза, 2018.
- Russ G, et al. European Thyroid Association Guidelines for Ultrasound Malignancy Risk Stratification of Thyroid Nodules in Adults: The EU-TIRADS. European Thyroid Journal. 2017 and 6(5):225–37.
- Burman KD and Wartofsky L. Thyroid nodules N Engl J Med 2015.
- Døssing H, Bennedbæk FN, Hegedüs L. Effect of ultrasound-guided interstitial laser photocoagulation on benign solitary solid cold thyroid nodules: one versus three treatments. Thyroid. 2006 and doi:10.1089/thy.2006.16.763, 16(8):763-768.
- Gharib H, Hegedüs L, Pacella CM, Baek JH, Papini E. Nonsurgical, image-guided, minimally invasive therapy for thyroid nodules. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 and doi:10.1210/ jc.2013-1806, 98(10):3949-3957.
- Yousef A, Clark J, Doi SA. Thyroxine suppression therapy for benign, non-functioning solitary thyroid nodules: a quality-effects meta-analysis. Clin Med Res. 2010 and doi:10.3121/ cmr.2010.881, 8(3-4):150-158.
- Kim DW, Rho MH, Kim HJ, Kwon JS, Sung YS, Lee SW. Percutaneous ethanol injection for benign cystic thyroid nodules: is aspiration of ethanol-mixed fluid advantageous? AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2005 and 26:2122-2127.
- Kim YJ, Baek JH, Ha EJ, Lim HK, Lee JH, Sung JY, et al. Cystic versus predominantly cystic thyroid nodules: efficacy of ethanol ablation and analysis of related factors. Eur Radiol 2012 and 22:1573-1578.
- Crescenzi A, Papini E, Pacella CM, Rinaldi R, Panunzi C, Petrucci L, et al. Morphological changes in a hyperfunctioning thyroid adenoma after percutaneous ethanol injection: histological, enzymatic and sub-microscopical alterations. J Endocrinol Invest 19.
- Livraghi T, Paracchi A, Ferrari C, Bergonzi M, Garavaglia G, Raineri P, et al. Treatment of autonomous thyroid nodules with percutaneous ethanol injection: preliminary results. Work in progress. Radiology 1990 and 175:827-829.
- Na DG, Lee JH, Jung SL, Kim JH, Sung JY, Shin JH, et al. Radiofrequency ablation of benign thyroid nodules and recurrent thyroid cancers: consensus statement and recommendations. Korean J Radiol 2012 and 13:117-125.
- Spiezia S, Vitale G, Di Somma C, et al. Ultrasound-guided laser thermal ablation in the treatment of autonomous hyperfunctioning thyroid nodules and compressive nontoxic nodular goiter. Thyroid 2003 and 947., 13:941.
- Papini E, Rago T, Gambelunghe G, et al. Long-term efficacy of ultrasound- guided laser ablation for benign solid thyroid nodules. Results of a three-year multicenter prospective randomized trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014 and 3659., 99:3653.
- Pacella CM, Mauri G, Achille G, et al. Outcomes and risk factors for && complications of laser ablation for thyroid nodules: a multicenter study on 1531 patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015 and 3910., 100:3903.
- Spiezia S, Garberoglio R, Di Somma C, et al. Efficacy and safety of radiofrequency thermal ablation in the treatment of thyroid nodules with pressure symptoms in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007 and 1479., 55:1478.
- Liu S, Liang P, Yu X, Cheng Z, Han Z, Yu J. Percutaneous microwave ablation for liver tumours adjacent to the marginal angle. Int J Hyperthermia 2014 and 30:306–11.
- Brace CL. Radiofrequency and microwave ablation of the liver, lung, kidney, and bone: What are the differences? Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 2009 and 38:135–43
- Korkusuz H, Sennert M, Fehre N, Happel C, Grünwald F. Local thyroid tissue ablation by high-intensity focused ultrasound: Effects on thyroid function and first human feasibility study with hot and cold thyroid nodules. Int J Hyperthermia 2014
- Baek JH, Jeong HJ, Kim YS, et al. Radiofrequency ablation for an autono- mously functioning thyroid nodule. Thyroid 2008 and 676., 18:675.
- Esnault O, Franc B, Ménégaux F, et al. High-intensity focused ultrasound ablation of thyroid nodules: first human feasibility study. Thyroid 2011 and 21:965-73.
Laser, nodular goiter, thyroid nodules.
How to cite this article:
Kalinkova M, Terzieva K, Kalinkova I. Non-surgical treatment as an alternative method for treating benign thyroid nodules.Journal of Endourology and Minimally Invasive Surgery (Bulgaria), 2022; 10(1):5-10
Dr. Mariya Kalinkova UMBAL Tokuda Hospital, Sofia; Department of Internal medicine
Clinic of Endocrinology and metabolic diseases: “Georgi Sofiiski” blvd. 3, 1606
E-mail: mariakkalinkova @ gmail.com